Saturday, November 26, 2005

To sin or not to sin?

I am not sure I like the word “sin” any more (not that I ever did). It seems that it has outlasted its usefulness with me.

We focus so much on sin, on what not to do, that we forget to do the things we should do.

In a typical youth group we spend 51 weeks a year speaking about how to avoid sin and then we spend one week on a mission trip.

That needs to be reversed.

We need to spend 51 weeks speaking on, learning about and doing mission and if necessary one week on how to avoid sin.

We forget that God left us here to do the work of Jesus in the world. Which brings me to another thing. We focus so much on what Jesus did not do “sin” that we spend no time on what Jesus did do “mission”.

In my view the only sin worth avoiding is the sin of not being on mission for God in the world.

Everything else is ultimately meaningless.

Also posted on Blairology 40 Days

4 comments:

Sam Davidson said...

Fantastic, excellent, well said, and wonderful are words to describe this post. Excellent take, my friend. I agree with all of your points and would like to add the following: Another reason to avoid the word 'sin' is that it as a word is becoming increasingly meaningless in our growing biblically-illiterate society. But, the world at large very well can understand the words mission, service and sacrifice because they don't need to be spoken; they simply need to be done.

Anonymous said...

I agree.....having grown up in a denomination slightly more fundamentalistic than the SBC, I came across the realization that the churches I grew up in spent more time trying to find reasons people were going to hell (when you're theologically arminian and most of the clergy isn't formally educated you get some interesting ones) than trying to get them to heaven.

TKP said...

interesting post blair. you know, if i was in georgia, i think we would be friends.

blairology said...

Aww how sweet…

Me 2 :)

Thanks

About Me

My photo
Blair is a graduate of Mercer University in Macon, GA. Where he earned a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Communication and Theatre Arts and a minor in Christianity. Blair earned his M. Div. from the McAfee School of Theology in Atlanta. Blair is currently pursuing the Blairology Global Project. Blair is an Eagle Scout.