Sunday, November 18, 2007

“Bad” theology v. “Good” theology

Bad theology comes from blaming God for everything. Example: My house won’t sell. Why God? It must be God’s will. Thanks God for making my life just a little bit harder.

 

Good theology comes from understanding that we can’t know what, if anything God does. Example: My house won’t sell, maybe because of the sub-prime mortgage fallout and subsequent housing bust, probably not because God hates me or wants to teach me a lesson out of love. 

 

Bad theology comes from saying, “The Bible is literally the words of God. I will not listen to you unless you have scripture to back it up. If you say, ‘I was thinking,’ stop right there. You were thinking. Don’t think, just read the Bible.”

 

Good theology says, “Maybe it is not the best idea to discourage people from developing critical thinking skills. Simply following orders from the Bible or other holy scripture historically leads to the suffering and death of many of our fellow humans and ultimately us too.”

 

Bad theology says, “It is God’s world, He can do what He wants, and you have to be ok with that.”

 

Good theology says, “First of all God is not a “He,” second of all it good and well is our world and we had better start taking responsibility for our actions in it and too it.”

 

Bad theology says, “I am thankful for the cross because when I die I will spend forever in heaven, consequently you, who have never been saved like me, will spend eternity in hell.”

 

Good theology says,” The cross is not about you or I going to heaven when we die, the cross is the culmination of the self-giving life of Jesus and an invitation to enter into a self-giving life that exposes the powerful civil and religious institutions of this world for the arrogant perpetrators of oppression that they are. Thus the cross would be the gospel or good news to everyone even if they have never heard it or been saved.” 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Blair is a graduate of Mercer University in Macon, GA. Where he earned a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Communication and Theatre Arts and a minor in Christianity. Blair earned his M. Div. from the McAfee School of Theology in Atlanta. Blair is currently pursuing the Blairology Global Project. Blair is an Eagle Scout.