Friday, October 14, 2005

Where My Lord Leads

“How many children in Sunday school learn that radical sense of Christian servant identity as opposed to Christians are nice people who know the truth and do good. Non-Christians are bad people who don’t. Therefore we need to avoid non-Christians or convert then as fast as possible or try to pass laws to keep them under control and to protect ourselves from them—until we can escape them forever in heaven?”

-Brian McLaren Generous Orthodoxy, p 85.

That is a very heartbreaking question because it is so true. I see it everyday. I see it on TV. I see it in my church. I see it in my country. Everywhere I look this seems to be the attitude of my fellow Christians. It is even sadder to me because I once held that same belief and I may hold it still. Only now I feel that way about Christians. I can’t wait to get to heaven to get away from all the Christians. I guess my question would be, what can we do about it?

I agree that we need to open up to the non-Christians and be the light unto the world that we are called to be. But also we need to redeem our fellow Christian brothers and sisters. Most of the Christians that I know are the way they are because they were taught to be that way. They follow what they are taught. Some of the people like me, who question everything even if it comes from a pastor, have found a growing discomfort in our churches. I grew up in church. I love God’s church. I almost gave up on the church.

We, who have questioned the actions or in-action of the church, do not need to give up on the church. The church is filled with people that can help. We need to redeem the church. We need leaders who are not afraid to ask tough questions of tradition and theology. Even questions about the very idea of who Jesus is. Where have we allowed the true message of Jesus to become used by the powerful to maintain power and control? What does Jesus have to tell us today? These are the questions that must be asked. Asked of the church. Asked in the church.

The road will not be easy. It will be a most difficult road to travel. There will be pain. There will be suffering. There will be persecution, from outside and from within. But ultimately it is the only road I can travel. All other paths are empty. Jesus is my Lord and I am compelled to follow where my Lord leads.

3 comments:

Shan said...

Blair,
I love your thoughts! Thank you for honestly sharing and being willing and eager to serve... even if it looks "different" to the world of believers. It is great to hear your heart and your passion to serve Him, in or out of a "church" with walls! Thanks for sharing!
Shantra
www.shantrabolek.com --> that is my blog

Anonymous said...

i think these are all very helpful thoughts...in fact ones i've been having myself lately. this summer i added religion as a second major onto political science and am really wrestling with the idea of a call to ministry. WOW. i don't think i've really said that to anyone in thomaston yet.

anyway, it's really tough...the church. when there is no passion everyone else can suck it out of you...yet when there is it can be showy or fake or distracting.

why do we think sunday school and mission education are so important for our kids? why do we put all of them in choir whether or not they have any talent? because all of these things are a part of our discipleship and growth as worshipers...and should continue to be throughout our walks...

why does the church HURT? i mean the really painful ache that tells you it's not supposed to be that way...and when do you as a member in love with Christ passionate about serving...serve best by leaving OR staying and potentially becoming bitter?

PRAY. PRAY. PRAY. PRAY.
and through it BEG god to give you strength and discernment.

Anonymous said...

thats so weird, b/c we talked about that exact thing last night...and i so want to read that book!!!

but still back to the question, so what is our part? we have found this truth and freedom...and we wish it for everyone...but where do we fit in? how are we to be used? how can we invite people on our trampoline while they are so glued to this brick wall? do we just show them love and compassion and hope they will start jumping? how do we show the church their attempts to convert people isnt so healthy and honestly isnt so Biblical?

why us? why werent we "choosen" to be tax collectors? were we even choosen in the first place? aaahhh...so many questions...so few answers.

About Me

My photo
Blair is a graduate of Mercer University in Macon, GA. Where he earned a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Communication and Theatre Arts and a minor in Christianity. Blair earned his M. Div. from the McAfee School of Theology in Atlanta. Blair is currently pursuing the Blairology Global Project. Blair is an Eagle Scout.